January 3, 2012

Book #1 - Last Sacrifice



Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy #6), by Richelle Mead

594 pages
YA/PN
Started 12/31/2011
Completed 1/2/2012
5 STARS

Holy crap, was this a good book. Holycrapholycrapholycrap.

I feel like I can't talk about this particular book without talking about the entire Vampire Academy series. Have you ever watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer? This series is like that, only better. WAY better. It is narrated by Rosemarie Hathaway, a 17-year-old half-human, half-vampire who is going to school to learn how to protect "good vampires," Moroi, from the "bad vampires," Strigoi. There's obviously more to it than that, but I'll allow you to discover that for yourself.

Anyway, Rose is everything I've always wanted to be - beautiful, bold, brave, strong, fierce. She has a total disregard for authority, stands up for what's right and true and loves her friends completely. Speaking of love... of course I'm going to speak of love. Her instructor is Dimitri. He sets my heart a-flutter. He's tall, dark and Russian. And, he totally falls for Rose. It's awesome. Until he is turned into a Strogoi and lost to Rose forever.

Against all odds, they find their way back to each other to get their happy ending. I do love my happy endings. Some readers like a little angst. Angst is okay - as long as it's wrapped up neatly and happily at the end. I'm a sucker for that stuff. And, it takes awhile, but Rose and Dimitri and (most of) their friends find happiness in the end. *sigh*

Seriously, this series was one of the best I've ever read. And I've read A LOT. It had it all for me - love, mystery, suspense, action, humor, and a really super strong female. If you haven't read it yet, go buy it. Like, NOW. Put a hold on it at your library. Borrow it from a friend. You will not be disappointed. I wasn't.

No comments: