February 16, 2012

Book #15 - Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1)


Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1), Rachel Hawkins
323 pages
Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
Started 2/10/12
Finished 2/11/12
3.5 STARS
I fear I have become a bit of a book snob. I've done done something twice in as many weeks that I've only done once before in my life. I started two books and decided not to finish them. I hate to do that. I feel like, if I've taken the time and trouble to choose a book and start it, I should at least stick it out until the end. But, in the past year, I've read so many incredible books - books that grabbed me and excited me right out of the gate. Books that have made me laugh and cry and scream and sigh. Books that made me care about what happened to the characters. So, now when I start a new book, I wait for those feelings. And, if they don't come, it's become hard for me to continue.

So, after a few false starts, I found Hex Hall. It was pretty good. Good enough for me to stick with it until the end, anyway, so that's definitely saying something. Sophie Mercer is a witch, which can come in handy when a friend needs a nice love spell or something. Except, her spells tend to backfire. Whomp, whomp, whomp, whomp... So, her dad, who is, like, the bigwig head warlock, decides to send her to witchy boarding school - the titular Hecate, or "Hex," Hall. Her roommate is a vampire, she falls in love with the most popular boy in school, and the three most popular girls decide they hate her. Yet, it's evident that Sophie is powerful and that the popular boy likes her back. Of course, things don't run smoothly for Sophie and shet gets into a bit of trouble.

Although Hex Hall was a bit more juvenile than some of the other books I've been reading, it was fun. It was also very predictable, but I didn't find myself caring that much. I would've liked to see Sophie's relationship with her roommate fleshed out a bit more - learned more about her back story. Perhaps that will come in the second book (which I have on reserve at the library already).

Anyway, the lesson learned here is, sometimes predictable and juvenile is ok, as long as they get you all the way through the book.

No comments: