September 4, 2012

Book #94 - Until I Die (Revenants #2)


Until I Die (Revenants #2), Amy Plum
357 pages
urban fantasy, paranormal romance
Started 824/12
Finished 8/30/12
5 STARS

How can you say enough good things about a book that keeps you up half the night, trying to figure out what is going to happen next? Several days after I read the last two words in Until I Die, I still found myself thinking about it!

Until I Die picks up right where Die For Me (Revenants #1) ended. Which I love. I hate it when books skip a ton of time between installments. I feel like I've missed a lot of the story. Vincent and Kate are together, but that is not without its problems. As they try to find a solution for those problems that they both can live with (literally), everyone around them is bracing for a new fight with the Numa.

The Revenants series is about complex and fascinating people, is set in a magical city, and is steeped in some amazingly creative and unique mythology. So, really - is there anything else you need? Plum has painted some truly interesting characters with her writer's brush. Each of them has a different personality and voice in the story. I find Kate and Vincent to be totally believable. Kate has the difficulties one would expect from a 17-year-old girl who is in love with someone who's not quite human. And even ever-patient Vincent loses his cool every now and again as he grows more and more frustrated with the cards life has dealt him.

That ending!! Amy, how could you do that to me? It was exciting and heart-breaking and infuriating all at the same time. I have my own theories and wishes for book #3, but I know that no matter what happens, Plum will not fail to deliver another amazing read.


No comments: