October 7, 2012

Book #108 - Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson #3)


Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson #3), Patricia Briggs
urban fantasy
Started 9/27/12
Finished 9/29/12
5 STARS

Iron Kissed is the perfect demonstration of why you should never judge a book by its cover. Someone please tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks the cover art for this book is icky. Not only does Mercy not look anything like I pictured, she actually spends very little time fixing cars and lots of time doing other kick ass stuff. Despite the lacking cover, this book was So. Good. The best Mercy book yet.

 Mercy's good friend, Zee, has been framed for murder, so of course, Mercy can't leave it alone. She's determined to find out who is setting him up, even though he doesn't want her to. Meanwhile, she still has two werewolves vying for her affections, and the time has come for her to make a choice.


This is urban fantasy for cripes sake. It really shouldn't make me emotional. But, Mercy's snark makes me laugh, Sam's overbearing demeanor makes me wish so much that he was MY roommate, and the events in the last 15% of this book made me bawl like a baby. Now that is good writing.

What I think it the coolest part of these books is that the plot doesn't suffer for lack of anything else. The mystery, especially in this one, is intriguing and complex. I love that I can't figure out who did it right away. And, I love how Mercy goes about her sleuthing.

This is such a great series, and this is the best one of the bunch yet. If you haven't read any of these books yet, what are you waiting for?

No comments: