January 7, 2013

Book #141 - Scent of Magic (Healer #2)


Scent of Magic (Healer #2), Maria V. Snyder
high fantasy
400 pages
Started 12/28/12
Finished 12/30/12
4 STARS

Do you like a good mystery? Intrigue? Mistaken identity? Romance? Ooooooh yeah - I thought so. So, why haven't you read Scent of Magic yet?

Avry has cheated death, and she wants to take her second chance and do something with it. Help people. Save them. But, in order to do that, she needs to be separated from her love and her friends. She has to go back to being alone again.  But, while Avry is fighting the good fight and missing Kerrick, he is trying to do the same in his own home land.

I've been reading a lot of books lately with dual POVs, and I realized something - I REALLY love them. Most books are told from the female character's POV, and I'm often times left wondering what is going through the guy's head. Scent of Magic is a dual POV book, and I'm so, so glad. I loved knowing what was going on with Kerrick and what he was thinking. Especially since he and Avry were separated for nearly the entire book. 

Avry is one ballsy chick. She's willing to stick her neck out in order to try and take out the big nasty bad guy. She's protective of her friends and her family and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty. And, Kerrick is the same. Those two really were made for each other.

This was a really captivating book! The mystery is a good one, keeping me interested and involved at all times. The supporting characters are some of the best I've ever seen - Belen, the monkeys, Jael - bad or good, they are interesting.

So, what do you think of dual POVs? Do you like high fantasy? If so, then you should start the Healer series today!

No comments: