August 16, 2013

REVIEW: Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson #5)

Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson #5), by Darynda Jones
Published July 9, 2013
Publisher:  St. Martin's Press
Format: hardback, borrowed from the library
Genre:  urban fantasy
To Buy: Amazon * Barnes & Noble

Rating:  4.5 STARS

(From Goodreads) Charley Davidson may not look like your everyday, run-of-the-mill grim reaper, but she has vowed to reap grimness wherever she goes despite this unfortunate fact. Sadly, she gets sidetracked when the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, moves in next door. As he is the main suspect in her arson case, she is determined to stay away from him until she can find out the truth. According to her therapist, however, she lacks conviction.

When dead women start appearing in her apartment - lost, confused and terrified beyond reason - Charley has no choice but to ask for Reyes's help, especially when it becomes apparent that her own sister Gemma is the serial killer's next target. With his ability to observe incorporeally, surely he can find out who's responsible. And even if he can't, he is the one man alive who could protect Gemma no matter who or what came at her. But he wants something in return: Charley. All of her - body and soul. And to keep her sister safe, it is a price she is willing to pay…


I knew when Fifth Grave Past the Light opened with Cookie nearly blowing Charley's head off in the middle of her father's bar (which is always crawling with cops) that this book was going to be explosive with a capital E. Without a doubt, this was the best book in the Charley Davidson series yet. 

Charley needs to figure out why 27 blond female departed have set up camp in her apartment. It's made things kind of cramped. And Reyes has that nice spacious apartment down the hall. Whatever is a grim reaper to do? Meanwhile, Charley's been hired by a woman who thinks her husband is cheating on her. Oh - and there's still an arsonist at large, and the suspect looks largely like the love of her life. Just another day in the life of Charley Davidson. 

You know, one of my earlier gripes about this series was that Charley didn't know when to dial down the snark. She still is snarky - no doubt about it. Her one-liners absolutely crack me up. 
“I'm sorry to have to tell you this way, but your mother and I are separating." When I pressed my mouth together, he corrected, "Stepmother. We're just - We're going in different directions."

"I don't know what to say, Dad. 'Hurray' just seems wrong.” 
But, I realized in Fifth Grave Past the Light that in each book, despite the silliness that almost constantly erupts from Charley's mouth, she always shows a dedication to the departed. Usually, it's one or two or three at a time. It was fun watching her try and deal with 27. But, despite everything else going on in her life, she doesn't give up trying to find out what happened to those poor women. I love seeing that dedication in her.

Reyes. Oh my sweet goodness gracious. THIS was his book. Reyes is awesome in his current state. He is human - he has a job an apartment, a car (a really HOT car). Yet, he still can work his Son of Satan mojo when Charley needs him to. We see him get all dark and stormy right off the bat in the first chapter - gosh I love to see him when he's like that.

But, the difference between the Reyes of books 1 - 4 and the Reyes of book 5 are his words. Namely, that he speaks more than a dozen of them. Of course, I'm exaggerating just a bit. But, Reyes has never been the kind of guy to stick around and talk it out before. It appears he's ready to fight for the woman he loves now, because he's changed.
“What do you want?"

"You," he said, his voice lowering an octave. "I want you, Dutch, body and soul. I want you in my bed every night. I want you there when I wake up in the morning. I want your clothes strung across my apartment and your scent on my skin.”
I've been waiting for this Reyes for a long time, and Darynda Jones definitely made it worth the wait. Reyes and Charley are actually becoming endearing and adorable together. And those are not two words I thought I'd ever use to describe their relationship. And, can we please talk about that ending? I mean, I won't, because I don't want to give anything away. But, seriously - those last two words took my breath away. 

This entire series is entertaining. But, this book was just off the charts amazing. 

No comments: